You don’t necessarily have to be angry in order to execute this recipe, but who knows? It might kick the flavor up a notch.
Forget regular mashed potatoes, Hulk-Mash potatoes are as green and raging as the superhero who inspired them. But don’t sweat it, no gamma radiation is required to turn these potatoes green; just good ol’ parsley and scallions will do the trick. Now let’s get smashin’!
- 6 medium sized yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into halves
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup milk, divided
- ¼ cup cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Once your potatoes are peeled and cut, place them into a deep saucepan. Add cold water, dried thyme, garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons of salt. Using medium heat, bring to a boil and let the contents simmer for about 25 minutes or until you are able to effortlessly pierce the potatoes with a fork.
- If you’d like to save some time, prep the parsley and green onion mixture while you are cooking the potatoes. Add chopped parsley, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ cup milk into a food processor. Pulse until you reach a nice purée-type of consistency.
- When your potatoes are fully cooked, drain them and set aside. In the same saucepan where you cooked the potatoes, add cream, butter and the rest of the milk. Set on low heat until the butter is fully melted.
- For this step, we need you to HULK-SMASH those potatoes! Using a potato masher (or your hands, though that might not be sanitary), mash the potatoes to your liking.
- Add your mashed potatoes to the still heated milk, cream and butter mixture. Stir until it is nicely combined. Turn off the heat and add parsley and green onion mix, pepper as well as salt and butter to taste. Mix away until the potatoes are evenly green.
- You have to start off with cold water to bring your potatoes to a boil. Don’t try adding your potatoes to hot or boiling water.
- Over mixing your potatoes will make them turn gluey, so keep that in mind while mashing.
- If you’d like to use different kinds of potatoes instead of yukon gold, why not give it a try?
Now you’re ready to unleash your mashed potatoes’ alter-ego — HULK-MASH! Stay tuned for more geekalicious recipes!
Speaking of ALTER-EGO… explore the secret natures of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, Bruce Banner as the Hulk, Optimus Prime from Transformers and the DC Universe with June’s Loot Crate; sign up by 6/19!