Awaken robots, mad scientists and more in this month’s Loot Crate DX #LABORATORY crate! DX Looters will experiment with epic pop culture collectibles and loot featuring Marvel, Batman, Jurassic Park, Breaking Bad and MORE!
Nothing screams “LABORATORY” more than the American neo-western crime drama television series, Breaking Bad!
To celebrate Walter White’s second life as a ruthless meth-making chemist, I cooked up a treat as sweet as the moment Gus’ face melted off.
WARNING! These Breaking Bad Cake Batter Truffles are VERY addicting. (Without the whole meth thing.)
Breaking Bad Cake Batter Truffles!
(Recipe adapted from: kailleyskitchen.com)
You will need:
For the truffles:
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 cup white cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (do not melt)
- 1/2 cup refined sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 Tablespoons whole milk
- 8 drops blue food coloring
For the coating:
- 16 ounces (8 squares) vanilla almond bark (if you want to use food coloring to dye coating, use white chocolate instead. Almond bark does not accept dye!)
- 4 Tablespoons white cake mix
- A handful of blue sprinkles of choice
How to Make:
1. Beat together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until combined.
2.Add cake mix, flour, salt, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
3.Add food coloring.
4.Add three Tablespoons of milk or more if needed to make a dough consistency. Dough must be malleable, NOT liquid-y!
5.Roll dough into one inch balls and place on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet.
6. Chill dough balls in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm.
7.While dough balls are chilling, place almond bark (or white chocolate if using food coloring) in a microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave at 30 second intervals until fully melted. Be sure to stir the contents in between intervals.
8.Once melted, quickly stir in cake mix until it is fully incorporated. Do not over-stir.
9.Use a fork to dip chilled truffles into the almond bark. Shake off excess coating by tapping the bottom of the fork on the side of your bowl.
10.Place truffle back on cookie sheet, shake sprinkles over them immediately before the coating hardens, and place back in the refrigerator for an another 15 minutes.
11.Once truffles have hardened, place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator until serving.
I ate ALMOST all of these…
Thanks for snacking with me! I’d LOVE to see what other geeky treats and recipes you have cooked up! Use #lootrecipes to share your Breaking Bad Cake Batter Truffles! Check out other geeky goodies and recipes!