Fresh off last week’s Destiny 2 reveal, we figured now was a good time to give you guys the lesser known facts about the hit FPS MMO experience! Check out these little details and facts you may not have known!
1. Destiny is the first game Bungie has worked on since leaving Microsoft and subsequently the Halo series.
2. While the experience would make many (including myself) describe this title as an MMO game, Bungie is quick to dispel that stating that only sixteen players generally populate the server they’re on at any given time. However, this may change with Destiny 2. Currently though, rather than wanting to deem it an MMO – they consider it a ‘Shared-World Experience’ which, let’s be honest, is kind of just… an MMO? Ah well.
3. Lance Reddick, who voices Commander Zavala, actually plays the game consistently. Imagine bumping into THAT Fireteam chat!
4. The reason Nolan North took over as the voice of Ghost, who was previously and infamously voiced by Game of Thrones‘ Peter Dinklage, is strictly due to heavy work scheduling. Dinklage actually enjoyed his role as Ghost, but priorities on the HBO series kept him from returning. (Honestly, Dinklebot is my true Ghost.)
5. Destiny is the first Bungie game to be released on PlayStation, more notably, PlayStation 3. Up until Destiny, Bungie exclusively worked with Microsoft.
6. All of the main playable classes in Destiny are inspired and aesthetically shaped by Star Wars. The Warlock class also borrows influence from The Matrix and the wizardly robes Gandalf of The Lord of the Rings wore.
7. When in Tower, you could hear a familiar voice over the Intercom. That voice is none other than Jen Taylor, best known as Cortana, Master Chief’s faithful companion from Halo. Bungie never forgets the people they love to work with.
8. Activision and Bungie have stated there is a ‘10 Year Plan’ for Destiny as a franchise, which includes four full titles with expansions and DLC. How much would something like this cost? An estimated 500 million dollars.
9. Firefly fans can easily pick out not just Nathan Fillion, who voices Hunter Trainer Cayde-6, but Gina Torres who voices the Warlock Trainer Ikora. Not a bad time for a reunion, right?!
10. One of Destiny’s most infamous lines was actually not included in the final release of the game. One of Ghost’s lines “That Wizard came from the Moon!” was in the Alpha build of the game and became something so joked about that Bungie removed it. Far later, with the Age of Triumph release and once Nolan North had taken over as Ghost, the line was included in a slight joke. However, its original context was removed with Bungie now poking fun at the line that launched a thousand Twitter jokes. Hadn’t heard it before? Check this out: