I know the release of Sony Pictures’ Venom isn’t until October 5th which is why we’re getting you geared up ASAP! Loot Crate, Loot Crate DX and Loot Wear ALL have Venom loot for September’s INVADERS! To start to get you in the mood, we got together some rad Venom film trivia!
1. As if anyone is surprised, Tom Hardy is not just Eddie Brock, but he voices Venom as well. I mean, obviously some tweaking to the modulation — but still!
2. People tried saying that the film Life was a prequel but that came from shared footage from within the studio and was debunked as merely a rumor. It’s common practice for some shots to share unused and used footage within a studio if it can save a few bucks. Trust me, Venom looks noooothing like Life.
3. Hardy stated at one point that he felt the closest relation he could lean off of for his role as Eddie Brock and Venom was actually from the 90’s cult hit Ren & Stimpy. He said the two shared a relationship quite similar. “I always saw Venom as a lounge lizard, and Eddie Brock as an everyday kind of guy who’s inherited this massive ego beast.” he stated.
4. Tom Hardy’s son is actually the reason why he picked up the role in Venom! His son, Louis, is a huge fan and he said he wanted to make a movie where he could please his son while also getting to bite people’s heads off.
5. In order to remind viewers of where they may have seen Venom before in the series history, and for those who are not familiar with the comic books, they made sure to have the same separation on the film’s poster art as they did for the Venom introduction of the original movies. This way, those who had seen the earlier Spider-Man films would be somewhat familiar with what Venom in this newer series was about. When you see Eddie Brock poking through the face of Venom on the poster and release art, fans will be more likely to remember where his character is from!
6. As if you needed ANY clarification — this film (and subsequent sequels) will take place outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. You won’t be seeing Tom Holland’s Spider-Man swooping into view in any of these films! But wait, that means we’ll eventually see a different Spider-Man if somehow Sony can get the visual rights now that Spider-Man belongs to Marvel for their MCU! Gasp! So much intrigue!
7. Eddie Brock in the comic books was always seen as far larger than life than Peter Parker was and his height touched on that. Brock in the comics is six-foot-three where Tom Hardy is five-foot-nine. Then again, it wouldn’t be the first time that movie studios have upped the perspective on Hardy’s characters to make him look larger than he is. That’s the treatment you get when you’re an incredible character actor!
8. I’ve mentioned this before in a feature, but the Venom film will be inspired and based on two different comic book arcs: Spider-Man: Planet of the Symbiotes and Venom: Lethal Protector. If you want to dive in before October 5th, you’ve got about 11 comic books to get to reading! You have time!
9. The symbiote that would eventually turn Eddie Brock into the host for Venom actually traveled in off in Spider-Man’s suit (ala the Secret Wars arc in 1984) when he trashed it and Eddie Brock plucked it up. After sliding it on, Venom absorbed into Brock and voila! Seeing as how there will be no Spider-Man in this film, they’re heading into the direction of experimentation.
10. Speaking back on the lack of a Spider-Man, this is why you won’t see the emblazoned white spider upon Brock/Venom’s chest in the film. Seeing as how Spider-Man belongs to Marvel, Venom has to have his own markings that step away from anything branded towards cha’boy Spider-Man. Hey, it’s best he makes a go of it on his own, right? Let’s see Venom soar!