With every passing day, the Force grows stronger as we approach the premiere of Star Wars: The Last Jedi this December. We cooked up some sweet treats to celebrate the AWESOME Star Wars loot in this month’s Loot Crate! (And because Star Wars desserts are always a must.)
“I am one with the cookie, and the cookie is with me.” This was basically my mantra while making these gingerbread inspired cookies.
These Wookiee Cookies are SUPER cute and easy to decorate. They are full of flavor, chewy and taste DELICIOUS with the chocolate! Chewbacca approves of this recipe! (Adapted from sugarnerd.com)
Need you will:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 squares of chocolate almond bark
- 2-3 squares of vanilla almond bark
Bake to how:
1.In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and shortening until well combined.
3. Add the brown sugar and beat until light in color.
4.Add the molasses and egg and mix until well combined.
5. Using a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients and mix by hand until the dough comes together.
6. Separate into 2 disks, wrap with plastic wrap or put in plastic bags and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
7. Preheat oven to 350F.
8.On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough and cut into gingerbread men shapes.
9. Transfer to a cookie sheet, then use the tines of a fork to imprint “fur” into all of the gingerbread men. Chill on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes, until cookies are set.
10. Cool completely.
Decorate to how:
1.Melt chocolate in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is just melted.
2.Transfer to a piping bag or decorator tool and draw on the eyes, nose, and bandolier. You can wait for the chocolate to set, or chill the cookies for a couple minutes to speed the process along.
3. Repeat step number 1 for melting vanilla almond bark in a bowl. Transfer to a piping bag or decorator tool to add the mouth and details on the bandolier.
Happy snacking and may the fork be with you!