Praise the Sun! There’s a lot of heft to the Dark Souls lore, for sure, but what about just the other trivia? The stuff every Souls fan should know? Well, let’s break it down!
1. There is a character named Patches that can be found throughout every Dark Souls title and even Bloodborne by name, though he’s hinted at in Dark Souls 2 as a similar looking male. Have you found him?
2. Dark Souls wasn’t the original intended title that From Software came up with. It actually went through two other working titles before they were told that the titles may not be seen contextually and would be too obscure for new players if not controversial. So, From Software’s last titling effort was Dark Souls, which they didn’t prefer because it was too close, as they saw it, to their original title Demon’s Souls.
3. Dark Souls wasn’t just the sequel (somewhat) of Demon’s Souls but that title is also the spiritual successor of King’s Field, a game that From Software came out with in 1994. Only ever released in Japan, Dark Souls is the reason this game saw a surge in people seeking it out to complete their obsession with the ‘Soulsborne‘ titles.
4. In other regions, their versions of this game have a weapon that is called the ‘Sword of the Dragonslayer‘ which is possibly a reference to a sword wielded by the character Guts in a manga and anime series called Berserk. Why they didn’t keep the name for North America, nobody is quite sure.
5. There is one coffin per game that you can climb into within the Catacombs and Tomb levels. Who even had the patience to find that out!?
6. There are several references within Dark Souls games that are from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. The director, Hidetaka Miyazaki, is a huge fan of JoJo as well as several other popular anime and manga so tiny nods to them are involved everywhere!
7. Miyazaki wanted the Onion Knight’s (aka Siegmeyer of Catarina) actual character design to resemble Hermione from the Harry Potter film series. Emma Watson should be so proud.
8. If you find a character named Emma, early in the game, along the High Wall of Lothric and attack her, you will start a boss fight that you’re DEFINITELY not supposed to deal with yet. However, if you DO defeat the boss, you will gain entry to Lothric Castle way earlier than you’re intended to. What does this mean for you? Check it out and see…
9. In Destiny, the Heart of Praxic Fire chest piece is in reference to Dark Souls. Think it’s just a fluke hit? Because several games reference Dark Souls at this point and with Dark Souls 3 being the last of the titled Souls games, we have a feeling memorials will be set up even more in the future!
10. Remember when we were talking about how Siegmeyer was meant to look like Hermione from Hogwarts based on Miyazaki’s suggestion? That’s not all. Those moving staircases are also something Miyazaki implied are Hogwarts-inspired! I think it’s safe to say that Miyazaki is the perfect guy to make a game for all us fans out there! Something for all of us!