Since we’ve got Super Mario Bros. in Loot Wear and Super Mario World in Loot Gaming this January, it seemed like a good time to get some little known trivia treats out to Looters! How many of these do you know? Think you’re the ultimate Super Mario fan?
1. People love to think this is Luigi’s first appearance in a Super Mario Bros. game but it isn’t. The arcade title before this, which was without their ‘Super’ status, was Luigi’s first. Mario Bros. showed the disdain that Mario truly had for his taller, lankier brother.
2. Mario wasn’t always a plumber, in fact, when he was in Donkey Kong he was actually a carpenter. Listen, everyone needs a career change now and then.
3. Super Mario Bros. is the eighth best-selling video game of all time. What is the number one selling video game? Wii Sports. Nintendo is actually represented in seven of the best selling games… ever.
4. The Tanooki suit from Super Mario Bros. 3 is based on the Tanuki which is from Japanese Mythology as a dog-like raccoon that can shift forms and become statues.
5. Only the American version of Super Mario Bros. 3 has named The Koopa Kids. In its other versions, they’re simply nameless.
6. There was a theory for the longest time that Super Mario Bros. 3 was a play, due to the curtains that open in the beginning of the game and closed at its conclusion. This was actually confirmed as true by the developers.
7. In Japan, Super Mario World was referred to and only called Super Mario Bros. 4 and the ‘World‘ was added to all other versions released in other countries.
8. Once all of the Star Road portals are revealed, you can beat Super Mario World in 12 levels only. Let’s talk about the speed runs THAT brings about!
9. Klepto the Condor from Super Mario 64 is based on Necky which are the vultures from Donkey Kong Country.
10. There are only three Bowser fights in all of Super Mario 64.